Friday, October 16, 2009

Down In The Depths





This is Cole Porter at his wittiest and most urbane. It is probably the "happiest" song about being miserable that anyone has ever been written. You are in love, you've been dumped. Unfortunately extreme wealth dripping with diamonds and furs has a hard time proving that "money can't buy happiness" particularly in well educated three syllable words, so you might as well swing out while you sing out!

Verse

Manhattan -- I'm Up a tree
The one I've most adored
Is bored
With me.
Manhattan -- I'm Awf'lly nice
Nice people dine with me
And even twice.
Yet the only one in the world I'm mad about
Talks of somebody else
And walks out.

Refrain

With a million neon rainbows burning below me
And a million blazing taxis raising a roar
Here I sit above the town
In my pet pailletted gown
Down in the depths on the 90th floor.

While the crowds at El Morrocco punish the parquet
And at "21" the couples clamor for more
I'm deserted and depressed
In my regal eagle's nest
Down in the depths on the 90th floor.

When the only one you wanted wants another
What's the use of swank and cash in the bank galore
Why even the janitor's wife
Has a perfectly good love life
And here I am facing tomorrow
Alone with my sorrow
Down in the depths on the 90th floor.

5 comments:

Durward Discussion said...

My new one will be up tomorrow afternoon. I hope everyone will join in.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I'd never heard the song you quoted so I've thrown-in a parody of one I DO know!

Durward Discussion said...

Rinkly's parody is hilarious. Keyboard Jockey takes a tour of Tacoma and Mary has a good clip of the movie and a tribute to Night and Day.

Thank you all.

Travis Cody said...

Rats! I did want to play this week, but I posted the Blog Blast meme.

SouthLakesMom said...

Last week and this week just didn't inspire anything in me worth publishing! But I keep checking...thanks for doing this!